Autumnaged Care

Services & Support

Autumnaged Care

Costs & Financial Considerations

Aged Care Costs & Financial Considerations

The structure of payments and fees in aged care can beconfusing at firstglance.

Aged care related recommended payments are set bythe federal government and reviewed annually. As a recognized aged care provider, we adhere to those recommendations.

Here, we explain how it all works.

The Australian Government assists with your residential aged care costs by funding aged care residences. However, those who can afford it are expected to contribute to the cost.There are five main elements to the fees payable for residential aged care in Australia:

aged care costs

1 - Basic Daily Care Fee (Government Standardised Fee)

The Basic Daily Care Fee is a contribution towards daily living expenses, such as meals, laundry, cleaning, resident activities, heating and cooling. All aged care residents pay a standard Basic Daily Care Fee. The fee is reviewed every March and September, in line with Centrelink increases in the Aged Pension.

The Basic Daily Care Fee represents approximately 80% of the pension, leaving about 20% for discretionary spending.

The current daily care fee is $51.21 for permanent & respite residents as set by the government.

 

2 - Daily Accommodation Payment and Refundable Accommodation Deposit

The Accommodation Payment is used to maintain and improve accommodation and services. Residents can choose to pay their Accommodation Payment by one of the following methods:

1. Refundable Accommodation Deposit (RAD)

This is a lump-sum deposit that is refunded in full at the end of residency.

2. Daily Accommodation Payment (DAP)

This payment is based upon the interest on any unpaid RAD and is calculated as a daily payment.

  • Combination of RAD and DAP

A combination payment that includes both a partial lump-sum refundable deposit and daily payments.

 

Supported Residents - Standardised fees set by the Federal Government.

We make rooms available for residents with reduced financial means in all our homes. Residents with assets under $49,500and annual income less than $27,232 may be eligible to obtain residential subsidy support from the Federal Government. Please note that the Basic Daily Care Fees still apply.

Supported residents may be asked to contribute to their accommodation cost via a Daily Accommodation Contribution (DAC) or Refundable Accommodation Contribution (RAC)or a combination of both, if their assets are between$49,500 and $168,351 and their income is greater than $27,232.

Successful completion of the “Combined Assets and Income Assessment” form and submission to Centrelink will outline any payment obligations within 4-6 weeks.

 

3 - The Means-Tested Care Fee -Collected by the home on behalf of the Federal Government.

The Means Tested Care Fee ensures that residents who have additional income and assets contribute to their medical costs, including nursing and personal care. This fee is collected by the home on behalf of the Commonwealth and is not retained by the home.

Centrelink assesses all residents entering a Commonwealth-funded residential aged care facility and residents will receive information about their Means Tested Care Fee up to 4-6 weeks after they have lodged the “Permanent Residential Aged Care Request for a Combined Asset and Income Assessment”  If this assessment is not completed then a higher Means Tested Care Fee might apply until the form is processed by Centrelink.

The Maximum Means Tested Care Fee that a resident can be asked to pay per year is $27,533 with a lifetime cap of $66,078.

 

4 - Respite Care Fees (Government Standardised Fee)

Respite care is available for short-term needs or emergency situations.

Click here to download your Schedule of Fees and Charges for Residential & Home Care

 

5 - Additional Service Fees

Autumn Aged Care provides a wholistic suite of services, that other homes can charge additional fees for. An example would be our varied meal choices and certain medical aids that we provide as our standard of care. We believe that to Live well the bench mark for available services and service quality must be lifted and available for all our residents to enjoy.

There are however a few extra fees for a number of optional choices that come with a small extra cost.

 

Optional Extras:

  • Telephone in room
  • Foxtel
  • Wireless internet
  • Hairdressing
  • Clothing labeling and
  • Electrical testing of personal items

 

Fee Collection

Autumn Aged Care homes collect the applicable fees and charges on a monthly basis in advance (except for respite which is done fortnightly). Fees are collected by direct debit. We do not charge additional fees for using direct debit. In order to maintain our high level of care and customer service for residents, we usually require a guarantor for new admissions.

Considering aged care for yourself or a loved one? We’re here to help.

Contact Us